There’s nothing quite like the charm of an old town or quaint main street. Residents love them for their historic significance and tourists love them for the feeling of old Americana they provide. From antique stores and central plazas to eclectic restaurants and small businesses, every detail must represent the period and be able to seamlessly transport visitors to the past while still maintaining the technology of today.
Here is a simple check-list for sustaining or creating your city’s “old town” districts:
1) Identify the historic qualities of buildings
2) Catalog the characteristics of your district
3) Verify any historic buildings
4) Determine and reinforce the relationships between buildings
5) Study and evaluate your existing façade
6) Based on city regulations, develop a concept and design requirements
7) Submit for approval – the easy part!
While the inherent quality of the design should reflect the vision, it’s best to use modern equipment and materials to ensure longevity. However, many companies provide excellent resources for modern technology with a nostalgic charm. If you’re looking to bring some character back to your downtown area, contact us today for how JTB Supply can assist with modern traffic technology and lighting with a “Classic Americana” façade.